Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Baby Steps

Today I decided to try to get at least one small thing done on the car before I had to take my son to swim practice.   So,  I decided to weld the tow hook back onto the bottom of the wheel well.   All the prep work was done so it was just a matter of welding,  maybe a little grinding.

Welding upside down really sucks.   That's one of the many things this project has taught  me so far.   Add to that the fact that the part I'm welding on is thicker than the part it is being welded to and it's even more difficult.   On top of that,  the spare tire well thickness seems to vary,  so whatever welding settings/speed is working perfect may be way too hot 1/2 inches down the line.   So,  my welds weren't exactly pretty,  but I made two passes and can see good penetration on the other side,  so it should be functional. Time to fire up the grinder!

One other note.   I do NOT recommend Eastwood weld-thru primer.   It causes a lot of popping and difficulty in getting a good weld pool going.   I used it on this part so I'd have a little protection between the parts if/when any moisture gets in there.   I wish I hadn't used it though.

No comments:

Post a Comment